Frico potato cheese tart is a Friulian specialty with its roots in the local popular tradition. The crunchy crust on the top is essential to be considered a Friulian dish.
Recommended wine pairing: Ribolla Gialla Damijan Podversic
- 500g/18oz Montasio cheese, ideally half fresh cheese (up to 2 months) and half medium-aged (5-10 months), grated.
- 500g/18oz red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
To flip the Frico potato cheese tart easily, tip it out onto a plate and then slide it back into the pan.
- Wash and peel the potatoes before grating them.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the grated potatoes. Stir and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until soft.
- Add the grated cheese, along with some salt and pepper to taste and mix well, the ingredients should be blended evenly.
- Continue cooking over a medium-low heat and stir occasionally.
- When the cheese has melted completely, turn up the heat a little and cook like you would an omelette, until a nice golden crust has formed on the bottom.
- At this point, flip the Frico over and cook the other side until the same crust is formed.
- Transfer the Frico onto a plate, slice it and serve immediately.
How to Host the Perfect Italian Dinner Party
Bring Italy to you with our free guide to planning and hosting the perfect Italian dinner party!
Find recipes, wine paring recommendations and other tips for a memorable evening, all curated by our team of experts - download today here: