Nduja is a soft sausage from Calabria, perfect as a salami, on bread or in pasta sauces as with this classic Calabrian recipe. It has a strong and rich taste characterized by the generous presence of chilli. Fileja are twisted strands of dried pasta found in this region.
Recommended wine pairing: Cirò Classico Superiore Aris, Sergio Arcuri
The power of Gaglioppo, a native vine at the base of Cirò, is perfect for balancing the strong and decisive taste of the dish. The result is in perfect line with the Calabrian style: powerful spiciness!
- 320g/11oz Fileja pasta
- 100g/4oz Nduja sausage
- 1kg/35oz cherry tomatoes, halved OR 800g/28oz tomato passata
- 100g/4oz red onion, thinly sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 basil leaves
- Pecorino cheese, grated
- Put the onions in a pan with some olive oil and cook over a very low heat for around 15 minutes until soft and transparent.
- Add the cherry tomatoes or passata and allow the sauce to cook and reduce.
- Add the Fileja pasta to a pan of boiling, salted water and cook for a couple of minutes less than the time stated on the packet.
- Add the Nduja to the tomato sauce and stir to break it up, keeping the pan on a low heat. Taste the sauce and season with salt if needed.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and transfer directly to the pan with the sauce and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to ensure the pasta is fully coated in the sauce.
- Chop the basil leaves and sprinkle over the top, serve immediately with some grated Pecorino cheese.
How to Host the Perfect Italian Dinner Party
Bring Italy to you with our free guide to planning and hosting the perfect Italian dinner party!
Find recipes, wine paring recommendations and other tips for a memorable evening, all curated by our team of experts - download today here: