A timbale is a baked, layered dish, suitable for lunch or dinner, which in Molise is used to create a great dish using chicory that can be adapted to your tastes.
Recommended wine pairing: Tintilia rosè
Tintilia is a native vine of this small southern region that for this timbale dish we recommend the rosé version; the bitterness of chicory is not suitable for pairing with red wines as the tannin would likely only exacerbate the bitter flavor.
- 1kg/35oz chicory
- 3 eggs
- 150g/5oz Scamorza cheese, sliced
- 4–6 slices Prosciutto ham
- 50g/2oz Pecorino cheese, grated
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the chicory, before boiling the rest of the leaves in plenty of salted water. Drain the chicory leaves and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Line a small, deep baking tray or springform tin with parchment paper, then grease the paper well with olive oil.
- Start creating your layers by putting half of the chicory leaves on the bottom of the pan, then add half the sliced Scamorza cheese, all of the sliced tomatoes, followed by half of the Prosciutto slices. Put the other half of the chicory on top, the rest of the Scamorza slices and finish with the last of the Prosciutto.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper, and then pour them over the timbale in the pan. Sprinkle with the grated Pecorino cheese and add a drizzle of olive oil
- Bake the timbale in the oven for around 30 minutes or until a golden crust has formed on the surface. Allow the timbale to rest in the pan for five minutes before transferring to a serving dish. Slice into wedges and serve immediately.
Get 25€ off your first Wine Club shipment
Subscribe now to save:
Get in touch
Send us a whatsapp message or email us:
How to Host the Perfect Italian Dinner Party
Bring Italy to you with our free guide to planning and hosting the perfect Italian dinner party!
Find recipes, wine paring recommendations and other tips for a memorable evening, all curated by our team of experts - download today here: