Caprese salad is a traditional recipe from Campania, where fresh mozzarella features in many dishes, taking its name from the island of Capri. It’s a deceptively simple recipe, which needs good quality ingredients to create the perfect balance of flavors in the iconic Caprese.
- 250g firm tomatoes at room temperature
- 250g fresh, high quality buffalo or fior di latte mozzarella at room temperature
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- High quality extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper (optional)
- Slice the tomatoes evenly in rounds about half a centimeter thick
- Arrange the tomato slices on a plate and sprinkle with salt, leave for 5 minutes
- Slice the mozzarella into rounds the same size as the tomato slices, blotting any excess liquid with kitchen paper
- Arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices neatly on a plate, alternating with each piece
- Roughly tear the basil leaves and scatter over the tomato and mozzarella slices
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the dish and add a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper if you wish
- Serve immediately
How to Host the Perfect Italian Dinner Party
Bring Italy to you with our free guide to planning and hosting the perfect Italian dinner party!
Find recipes, wine paring recommendations and other tips for a memorable evening, all curated by our team of experts - download today here: